Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Monday practice & a new stick

On Thursday I fought only a few sets because the rattan was SO worn out.  It wouldn't flow.  Maybe I was a little off, but the rattan was not helping.

Monday rolled around again as it always does.  I largely squandered my weekend and avoided making a new sword.  For some reason I alway see this as an onerous task, I would apparently rather fight with a broom, making it nearly impossible to land a good blow.

Yet, here we were again.  Monday after work.  Old worn out rattan.  If I went to practice with it I wasn't going to fight.  So I grabbed new rattan and craved up a sword. 

For the past 5 or 6 iterations I have been carving my handle a certain way.  It is a sort of modified saber grip, fatter at the top than at the bottom.  Over trial and error I have determined I like it a little on the larger side over the smaller side.

I do not plane my swords, I don't really believe it helps make it look more like a sword or function more like a sword.  It's a stick.

When I was fnished and I had it all taped up I noted despite the length being identical to my previous sword, this one was significantly heavier.  Rattan must be denser.  I have 2 more blanks from this piece of rattan.

Although Monday practice was small it was a joy to fight with a new stick.  Absolute joy.  I always think this when I have a new sword.  ALWAYS.

Practice was a light sparring session with 2 other fighters.  It was good to put the armor on and swing some stick around.  Often with only three of us on the Monday we do not.

No comments:

Post a Comment