Friday, June 10, 2011

Practice, June 9, 2011 and Training Journals

When I left work yesterday I looked up and saw a beautiful day.  A good day to hold practice outside, always a pleasure to fight in the grass instead of inside on floors.

Drills:
The drills largely comprised of staying engaged and using your shield to neautralize your opponents shield.

Offense:
In addition to that I was working on a two shot combo, onside head -> onside leg.  I had a decent amount of luck with it.  Needs lots of polish and some mechanical work, mainly re loading my hip between, which may help in recovery.  Right now I am throwin the head and letting the sword teardrop 1/2 way and then firing the leg. 

Defense:
I was also working at keeping my shield in front of me or at least in a defensive position, so often it floats out, gets pivoted out, gets forgot about.

Range:
It was mentioned that I was holding range better that I was holding a guy in a deadzone where I could strike and he could not.  That is a good thing, but maybe a bit further out than I want.  This positioning where I throw and get no response most certainly plays into my defensive issues.  ie I am not threatened, my shield becomes a secondary consideration.

Journals:
For awhile my methodology, and will be again, was to write all this up in a journal.  Make notes and comments, write ideas down I had at practice.  I would then read this again right before practice.  This was in an attempt to create continuity and an unbroken learning between practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment